So many of my martial arts school owner friends, are making hard choices. Some are closing down. Others are opening their doors to in-person students in the midst of a pandemic. I get it. We want to serve our students. We want to save our businesses. But for Eric, Jordan, Nick and me, opening our physical doors would put us at risk and not save our business.
And I am OK that she didn't say that thing. I know we don't serve the whole community. In the 21 years that we have provided programming after school, we have served 4-7% per year of the population of the schools.
We are a specialty program meant for a few. But the few who love it? Who can't live without it? Like me. We stack the bricks of our lives on the foundation of the movement. The respect. The culture. The people. The fiery ability to be aggressive and powerful and graceful and beautiful and fierce all at once. Where else is there for a girl to get that? And we have the best men at BKD. Great women need great men.
- Do I love it enough to keep teaching to a camera, in a dojo, all by myself? (The dog is now allowed in so I have a friend.)
- Do I love it enough to figure out how to replace the CONNECTION of the touch and eye contact of teaching someone their first rising block in person, with something else that still makes them feel valued and important?
- Do I love it enough to create a New Leadership Program for the aspiring mentors and teachers in my midst?
- Do I love it enough to not throw in the towel, sell the house where the dojo and my family reside, with the roof that leaks, and get a 'real job'?
- Do I love it enough to continue to master the technology that delivers Karate in an instant anywhere in the world?
(I know you may not be a current student, but this was a musing after all. Aren't we all both teacher and student?)
- No more space limits.
- No more travel (3-500 miles per week for me).
- No more missing dinner with the family for karate. Students can take class, ditch the gi and be home.
- We will make friends all over the country, maybe even the world. The internet has no bounds.
- We will still CONNECT.
- We will still be YOUR HOME DOJO.
- We will still be Wicked Good Teachers Who Make Better People.
- We will ADD personal and professional Mastermind Meetings.
- We will ADD Nationwide Gatherings at YOUR Local State Parks, when COVID has traveled its path.
- Anyone thinking a beach on an island would be ok, too?
- We will ADAPT.
- We will RISE.
I would love to hear your thoughts...please email me a note...
If you've considered, if you've thought about joining, if you've ever wondered...
Now would be a great time to start. Click right here for more information >>> https://bba.
In September, when we open the Virtual Doors in an official fashion the prices will have to change. Did you know that because of our rural setting and focus on school programming, that we have always been 1/2 to 1/3 of the national average of pricing for karate?
Friends, I have taught kids and adults for 21 years. We've done over 300 virtual classes in just 4 months.
This is that thing I do. My ONE THING.
My focus is shifting. Adults, now is your time. Your time to escape the day for an hour with a new community of Karate friends.
Some have made it into a pretty great experience...
- In YOUR space.
- On YOUR time.
- For YOUR life.
I will see you in the dojo!